Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Photo Tour of a Crumbling Leper Colony, and Quarantine Home of Typhoid Mary.

I'm posting this article so I can keep it handy to enjoy again... I'm a wistful fan of "Urban Exploration".... but not so much a fan of risking a trespassing arrest anymore. This reminds me fondly of the day I gave myself an illicit tour of an abandoned TB hospital near Annapolis, MD.


"...In a series of extraordinarily eerie pictures, the lost world of North Brother - quarantine zone, leper colony and centre for drug addicts - has been brought back to life.

It is hard to believe that these echoing corridors and abandoned halls were home to hundreds of patients - or that a criss-cross of tree-lined avenues were once roads. 

But the haunting quality of these pictures makes it easy to imagine that it was a place of indescribable misery, which one inmate compared to the notorious black hole of Calcutta."


No comments:

Post a Comment